Saturday 8 June 2024

Strange combinations

Some things go together like a horse and carriage. For example, love and marriage.

Other things go together like oil and water. This week the Charles Fudgemuffin blog takes a look at
some of those oil and water combinations.

1) Funerals and potatoes


To start the ball rolling, here's a business which offers a strange combination of services.

Funerals and potatoes.

Sidney: "I'm just off to Henry's funeral"
Maureen: "Get some potatoes while you're there."




2) Pianos and motorbikes


Pianos and motorbikes.
A winning combination for Yamaha.
The funeral service that also sells potatoes isn't the only company offering a strange combination of products.

Yamaha started off in 1887 making pianos, and they continued to make pianos very successfully for over 60 years, until in 1955 they decided to expand into making ... motorbikes!

I wonder who their target market was? Bikers who want to take up the piano? Or pianists who want to take up motorbiking?




3) Sweetcorn and ice cream


I love ice cream, and I also really like sweetcorn. However, I would never dream of combining the two into one meal, because obviously that would be ridiculous!

Apparently though, one ice cream maker in Thailand thought otherwise...

Sweetcorn flavored ice cream.

Apparently, sweetcorn flavored ice cream is quite popular in South East Asia, so anyone reading this in Thailand will probably be thinking, "Sweetcorn and ice cream? What's strange about that?"

However, I gave it a try and I can report that it was just as disgusting as it sounds, so I don't think that sweertcorn flavored ice cream will be catching on in the rest of the world anytime soon.




4) Chihuahuas and bananas


If you've ever used a lift (or elevator, for the benefit of American readers), then you've probably seen a sign advising how many people the lift can safely carry.

But what if you're not a human? What if you're a hippo? Or a chihuahua? Or a banana?

Thankfully this next lift has got you covered, because it contains a sign advising of the weight limits for a long list of strange combinations.

Credit: @LeoPoldAllDay

If I got in a lift and there were seven grizzly bears in there, it wouldn't be the weight limit that I was concerned about!

And I can't help thinking that 3,061 seagulls is an overly precise estimation. What if a few of them were a little bit overweight?




5) Ghosts and apples


Ghosts And Apples.
Highly rated by gamers.
Over the years there have been many video games featuring subjects which seem like the perfect combination, such as Ghosts and Goblins, Might And Magic, or Sin And Punishment.

However, I recently came across a game for Nintendo Switch where the game features two subjects which you might not immediately associate with each other.

It's a game called Ghosts ... and apples!"

Sidney:
"Let's make a game featuring ghosts. Ghosts always go down well in video games. But what else should we include?"
Horace: "How about goblins?"
Sidney: "No, Ghosts and Goblins has already been done."
Horace: "Or what about vampires? Or werewolves?"
Sidney: "No, I've got a better idea! Ghosts ... and apples! It's the perfect combination!"

According to Metacritic, it's very highly rated, so apparently it seems that ghosts and apples are a winning combination!

Ghosts And Apples for Nintendo Switch

Legal Disclaimer: Please note, the creators of Ghosts And Apples weren't really called Sidney and Horace. That was just my bizarre imagination.




6) Professional butchers meat saw and Tiger Woods PGA tour


From time to time, I like to check out my local auctions to see what items they have on offer. Sometimes they'll group similar items from the same seller together into one lot, so for example you might find a few books for sale as one lot, or a few games grouped together perhaps.

However, I can't help thinking it was perhaps a little unusual to group these next two items together...

The perfect combination for any golfing butchers, or butchering golfers.

Sidney: "Wow! A professional butchers meat saw and also Tiger Woods PGA Tour! That's exactly what I was looking for!"

Legal Disclaimer: The featured lot item wasn't actually bought by a person called Sidney (or if it was, it was just by a random coincidence). That was just my bizarre imagination again.

If anyone reading this lives in Tyne and Wear, then I recommend giving Featonbys auction a visit to check out the interesting items they have up for auction. Or if you live far away, then their auctions are also available online.




Wagon Wheels, Star Wars Memorabilia,
and the Nice Ham

7) Wagon Wheels, Star Wars Memorabilia and the Nice Ham


Finally, since we're on the theme of strange combinations, I have to admit that I'm guilty of featuring some strange combinations of my own in one of my short stories. I'm referring to 'Wagon Wheels, Star Wars Memorabilia and the Nice Ham', which - as you might have guessed - features Wagon Wheels, Star Wars memorabilia, and 'the nice ham'. It's available for kindle from amazon.

It sounds like a strange combinations of items to feature in a short story, but if you read the story you'll understand why I gave it that title.




I usually round off each blog post with a link to similar themed blog posts. However, in keeping with this week's theme I've decided instead to link to a strange combination of blog posts:
Emoji quiz
The first rule of Fight Club is...
Anagrams

No comments:

Post a Comment