Saturday 29 June 2024

Stating the obvious (part 2)

When I feature a follow up blog post on the Charles Fudgemuffin blog, I generally label it 'part 2'. That's because it's the second instalment, and part 2 comes after part 1, therefore I call it part 2.

You might be thinking that's obvious. Why did I bother explaining something as obvious as that?

Well, the reason is because this week features another collection of 'stating the obvious' examples, and I like to practice what I preach!

1) Obvious marriage


To start things off, here's an amusingly obvious headline...

"Couple gets married during wedding."

You have to wonder, did whoever wrote this headline know how weddings work? Of course they got married! That's kind of the whole point! What else are they going to do during a wedding?

In other news, man eats food during meal.




2) Obvious cabin


This next example should perhaps be called 'asking the obvious' rather than 'stating the obvious', but either way it brought a smirk to my face.

A log cabin made of logs. As opposed to all the other
thousands of materials that log cabins can be made out of.

"My log cabin is starting to take shape."
"What are you making it out of?"
"Logs."




3) Obvious football quote


Here's an obvious quote from former Luton and Tottenham manager David Pleat...

"Had we not got that second goal, the score might have been different."

The score might have been different? I'm pretty sure that when you get a goal, the score always changes. At least under the counting system that I use, but perhaps David Pleat uses a different counting system?




4) Obvious label


Although some examples of stating the obvious can be amusingly silly, I have to admit this next example is sensible and practical.

A bottle of water.
Water by name, water by nature.

Some marketing executive probably got paid thousands of dollars to come up with the name, but it was definitely money well spent! It gets a thumbs up from me. I'd buy it. Well, as long as it was spring water and not just bottled tap water. Maybe they should have clarified that.

So perhaps it's not that obvious after all!




5) Obvious advice


The company magazine at one of my previous jobs featured the following advice for anyone going away on holiday...

"Don't leave your keys in the front door."

Okay, everyone. Have you got that? When you go away on holiday, don't leave your keys in the front door.

I have to admit, I can't imagine that advice will involve a radical change of plans for most people going away on holiday. I know when I go on holiday, I certainly don't have 'Leave my keys in the front door' on my 'To do' list.

To be fair, despite how obvious it is, it is nevertheless good advice!

And they did also include lots of other good advice, some of which was perhaps not quite so obvious. For example, don't advertise your holidays in advance on social media, as this can act as an advert to thieves. I have to admit, that advice wasn't particularly relevant to me, as my facebook friends aren't scabby thieves. Presumably though, if anyone has facebook friends who are scabby pilfering thieves, then this is excellent advice which is well worth following!

N.B. Despite my daft comments, I just want to clarify that I did actually like the company magazine in question, and it did feature some interesting articles.




6) Obvious history


If anyone was wondering when the internet was introduced, then thankfully the BBC have been able to narrow it down a bit...

Credit: @RichardOsman

"Business rates were introduced 400 years ago, and that was before the internet."

It sounds like something a parody account would say, but no, this was the BBC. To be fair, at least it was the truth, which is rare for the BBC.




7) Obvious garage


Finally, if you're wondering whether the following garage has a certain tyre in stock, then they've provided a helpful answer.

Credit: imgur

"If it's in stock, we've got it!"

To provide further clarification, if it's not in stock, then they haven't got it.

- - - - - - - - - -

Is a KitKat a chocolate bar or a biscuit? Surely that's obvious! A KitKat is obviously a ********* [Censored to avoid causing controversy]. Anyway, as well as being a controversial question with an obvious answer, 'Is a KitKat a Chocolate Bar or a Biscuit?' is also the name of one of my short stories, and it's available for kindle from Amazon.




You can find my original collection of obviousness at the link below:
Stating the obvious (part 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment