Saturday 9 January 2021

Things that unintentionally made me laugh (part 2: How to survive an ice age)

I recently watched a very amusing TV show which I felt deserved credit for how much it unintentionally made me laugh. The show in question is Snowpiercer, so here's a short summary of the plot:

"Oh no! There's an ice age. What shall we do?"
"I know! Let's build a train!"
Scientists try to save the world, but it turns out they're clueless muppets and they end up making an ice age by mistake. So to survive, mankind decides to build a train that goes round and round the world.

You know, as you do when there's an ice age!

I imagine the planning stage, when faced with this ice age, went something like this:

"Hmm, how will we survive this ice age?"
"I know! Let's build a train!"
"A train? How will that help?"
"Duh! It goes round and round the world!"
"Oh, right. Yeah, good idea! Let's build a train!"


I was sitting there watching this thinking ... what!?

It reminded me of when Ali G used to interview people and he would make up crazy things and just say the most ridiculous stuff. Well imagine if Ali G pitched the most crazy ridiculous plot you can imagine to Netflix.

But bizarrely, instead of Netflix realising it was an obvious joke, for some unfathomable reason, Netflix actually replied...

"Yeah, that sounds great. Yeah, we'll make that. An ice age, you say? So people decide to build a train to go round and round the world? Yeah, that makes perfect sense! That's not ridiculous at all!"

For copyright reasons, this photo depicts an old train,
rather than the futuristic train featured in Snowpiercer.
And then once the plot develops it just gets even more ridiculous. The lucky few get to live on this train, but loads of lower class poor people sneak on the back of the train. All of these poor people are dressed in futuristic rags, to make sure the viewers know they're futuristic poor people. Also, these poor people have randomly got loads of weapons, and they decide to barge into the main part of the train and start killing people.

To add to the bizarreness, when the poor people at the back of the train start murdering people, I got the impression that the writers intended for the poor people - just to recap, that's the murderers - to be seen as the good guys!

I have to admit, random murder isn't generally a quality I would associate with the good guys. Then again, I suppose it's pretty much in keeping with the morals of Hollywood nowadays. Anyway, the whole experience of watching the first episode of Snowpiercer was completely bizarre.

I'm sure that fans of the show will argue that I'm missing all sorts of clever social commentary and subtext in the show, but to those people I would simply say...

"If there was an ice age, would your response be, 'Hey, let's build a train that goes round and round the world!'?"




You can find more things that made me unintentionally laugh in the blog posts below:
Things that unintentionally made me laugh (part 1: 'cute' dog names)
And the award for the most stupid question ever goes to...
How NOT to write a helpful book review

No comments:

Post a Comment