Saturday 16 January 2021

Have you never ... ?

Previously on the Charles Fudgemuffin blog I've advised readers to never trust the polls. However, this week I'm going to be a hypocrite, as I take a look at polls investigating various things that people have never done.

The following statistics and are collected from various surveys, research and studies*, and reveal the percentage of people that have never done certain activities!

Even adults can climb trees!
* Conducted by Resolution Foundation, Honest Organic study, Ofice for National Statistics, Kayak, Ginger Research, Iceland, O2, You Gov and others.

1) Never climbed a tree = 67%


Incredibly, two thirds of adults have never climbed a tree! Wow! They don't know what they're missing!

Obviously I don't climb trees nowadays, because I'm old and boring, but when I was young I used to frequently climb trees, and I kind of assumed it was just part of being a kid. If you ask me, anyone who didn't climb a tree as a child had a deprived childhood.




A long time ago...

2) Never seen Star Wars = 9%


This was another statistic which suprised me because I rather foolishly just tend to assume that everyone I meet has seen Star Wars, so it's amazing to think that one in eleven people have never actually seen Star Wars!

I loved the original trilogy, but I've gradually lost interest in Star Wars with the Disney sequels. However, I have to admit that the scene in The Last Jedi where Princess Leia flies through outer space like Superman was one of the greatest comedy moments in the history of movies! Sadly, I don't think the comedy was intentional.




3) Never played the lottery = 19%


The lottery.
I've only ever played the lottery twice in my entire life, once the first week it began, and then I once did the Euromillions years later when it was a massive rollover. Read on to find out how I did...




4) Never won the lottery = 99.9918%


In the UK there have been just over 5,500 lottery winners*. Based on the UK population of 67.7 million people, that means that only 0.0082% of the UK population have ever won the lottery. Or looking at it the other way, 99.9918% of the population have never won the jackpot on the lottery.

Sadly, I fall into the 99.9918%. :(

* At the time of writing.





Tea, pictured yesterday.

5) Never made a cup of tea = 5%


I have to admit that this applies to me. I've never made a cup of tea in my life. I suspect some people probably think this makes me a bit of a weirdo, but basically I've only ever tasted tea once in my life and it tasted absolutely minging, so I never bothered drinking it again.

And as I don't drink tea myself, I therefore don't really know how to make it, so I wouldn't want to risk making anyone ill due to my lack of tea making skills.




Sorry, this doesn't count.

6) Never been on a plane = 22%


This also applied to me until I was in my late twenties, but I've more than made up for it since then, flying all over the world, and spending a large chunk of my adult life travelling around the world!




7) Never have children = 20%


One in five Scandinavian men never have children.




8) Never had a fried English breakfast = 20%


A fried English breakfast.
Posting this photo made me very hungry!
This is another statistic I was shocked by. A fifth of Brits under thirty have never had a fried English breakfast. I love fried English breakfasts, but weirdly I generally only ever have them when I'm on holiday in other countries! I never have an English breakfast in England!

Perhaps it's because I would generally only think to have a fried breakfast when I'm in a restaurant, and I don't eat in restaurants for breakfast very often in England.




9) Never been to a gig or concert = 15%


Live music.
An incredible 15% of British adults have never been to a gig or concert! That equates to over eight million adults!

Some of my best memories have been at concerts, and I love live music, so if you're one of the fifteen percent who have never been to a concert then I strongly recommend that you give live music a try!




10) Never used the internet = 7.4%


Based on the current population of the UK, that equates to an incredible five million people in the UK who have never been on the internet! Just think of what they're missing out on! For starters, they'll never have read the Charles Fudgemuffin blog! And more importantly, they won't know what their old school mates had for dinner via facebook!




You can find more statistic themed blog posts below:
Christmas statistics
Things that happen every second
Micromorts: The risk of dying (part 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment