Saturday 9 December 2023

Silly tautologies (part 5)

Tautologies are just a fancy way of repeating the same thing twice. Which makes them quite a suitable subject for the Charles Fudgemuffin blog, because I often like the repeat the same theme twice (or even five times in some cases) in my blog posts.

This week is no exception, as I feature another round-up of silly tautologies.

Unfortunately, I didn't have any photos of a stupid idiot,
so I had to use this photo of a highly intelligent man instead.

1) Stupid idiot


This is a tautology that me and my friends used quite a lot when we were young. We would often call each other stupid idiots as an insult among friends.

However, it's another obvious tautology. It's safe to say, you don't get many intelligent idiots. Nor do you get many stupid geniuses. I think the fact that an idiot is stupid goes without saying.

So on reflection, what a bunch of stupid idiots we were to call each other stupid idiots!





2) The Los Angeles Angels


The Los Angeles Angels are a baseball team based in Los Angeles. However, 'Los Angeles' is Spanish for 'the angels', so the Los Angeles Angels are actually 'the the angels angels'. A double tautlology! Two for the price of one!

"Float like a butterfly, sting like a mouse."
Another famous boxing quote.

Editor's note: "Charles, it's actually 'sting like a bee,' not a mouse."
Charles: "Yes, I know, but I haven't got a photo of a
boxing bee, so hopefully the readers won't notice."




3) Undisputed


"I'm undisputed and there's no disputing that."
...Lennox Lewis

Based on the above quote, I think it's safe to assume that Lennox Lewis is apparently a big fan of tautologies.





4) Please R.S.V.P.


R.S.V.P. stands for 'répondez s'il vous plait' which means 'respond please'.

So when you write, 'Please R.S.V.P.', you are actually saying, 'Please respond please', and thus repeating yourself.

However, there's no harm in being ultra polite, so in this case I would say that this is one tautology where the repetition is acceptable.



Mmm! Garlic naan bread!
Or as it's known to Persian speakers, garlic bread bread!


5) Naan bread


Naan is a Persian word which translates as bread, so the phrase 'naan bread' actually means 'bread bread'!

On a related note, my mate reckoned he could smell Persian flatbread from a mile away. I told him that was naan scents.





Pandemic II: The sequel!
Coming soon to a nation near you...

6) Global pandemic


A pandemic, by definition, is global. There's no such thing as a local pandemic. If it was restricted to one local area, then it wouldn't be a pandemic. It would an endemic.

However, if a pandemic was to be repeated (which I'm sure it won't be **shifty eyes**), then would that be classed an unnecessary repetition, and thus make it a tautology?




You can find more silly and foolish tautologies and repetitions below:
Silly tautologies (part 3)
Silly tautologies (part 4)

No comments:

Post a Comment