Saturday 23 July 2022

Silly tautologies (part 4)

As I'm sure every knows, the dictionary defines a tautology as 'needless repetition of an idea or description, or an instance of unnecessary recurrence'.

From time to time on the Charles Fudgemuffin blog, I like to draw attention to silly tautologies, so as it's been a while since my last round-up of silly tautologies, this week's blog post features another selection of unnecessary repetitions!
"Bah! A belated warning!
If only it had been an advance warning!"

1) Advance warning


An 'advance' warning? I think it's fair to say that all warnings are given in advance! You don't warn someone after the event has already occurred!

Imagine the weather forecast saying, "I'm warning you now, take an umbrella when you go out yesterday, because it rained yesterday."



2) Three-way love triangle


Three-way love triangles are always a bad idea. It's always better to stick to a traditional two-way love triangle.



3) Single bachelor


"Er, Sarge ... I can't help thinking we've forgotten something."
A single bachelor'? As opposed to a married bachelor?

I think it's safe to say that this is another relationship related tautology where the adjective is unnecessary.



4) Armed gunman


Armed gunmen are the worst. I much prefer unarmed gunmen.



5) Hula dance


Hula is the Hawaiian term for dance, so strictly speaking if you say 'hula dance' you are saying 'dance dance'!



A litter of pugs.

Editor's note: "Charles, that's the wrong type of litter!"
Charles: "Yes, I know, but they were so cute
that I thought I'd include them anyway."

6) Unwanted litter


I once remember a sign at a music festival advising people where they could dispose of 'unwanted litter'.

Was the word 'unwanted' really necessary? I'm pretty sure all litter, by definition, is unwanted! After all, if it was wanted, it wouldn't be litter!



7) Comprising of


Finally, this last one is a little bit nitpicky, but technically speaking 'comprising' means 'consisting of'. So if you say 'comprising of' that's the equivalent of saying 'consisting of of'.




If you want to read more articles comprising of consisting of silly tautologies, then check out my previous blog posts below:
Silly tautologies (part 1)
Silly tautologies (part 2)
Silly tautologies (part 3)

No comments:

Post a Comment