Saturday 30 September 2023

Liars caught in the act

Today is National Liar Day. Actually, no, it's not. I just made that up. It was a total lie! National Liars Day isn't until March 1st apparently, although personally I don't see why we need a day to highlight liars.

Anyway, that was an example of a liar caught in the act, and this week the Charles Fudgemuffin blog highlights several more such examples.

1) Supermarket liar


To start things off, here's a claim of 'nothing artificial' which I can't help feeling somewhat suspicious about.

"Nothing artifical."
"Imitation crab."

Real 100% authentic imitation crab! It sounds like something Del Boy would sell.




2) 'Hungry' liar


Here's a screenshot from a news segment reporting on one unfortunate lady who said her benefit payment doesn't give her enough money to put food on the table.

Janet Smith of 66 Chestnut Avenue, Bradford, with her face pixelized to protect her identity.

For some peculiar reason, the viewer that took the screenshot was somewhat sceptical about the woman's claims, although I can't possibly imagine why. **shifty eyes**




3) Toaster liar


If you're looking to buy a toaster, then good news! Here's one for sale, and it's obviously in excellent condition, because according to the seller it's 'never been taken out of the box'.

If you want to check it out for yourself, then here's a photo of it, pictured out of the box.

"Never taken out of the box."

Sadly, it just shows you how mistrusting people are nowadays when apparently there were some sceptical people who didn't believe the claims of the seller.




4) Plant liar


This next example is a lovely story, so much so that I can't help wishing it was true. However, whoever posted it made one small but crucial error. Have a read of the story and see if you can work out what it is.

A heart-warming story ... with one suspicious detail.

"My favourite ever £1 purchase. I'll tell you why...

Driving back from work today and I came past a little girl sat on her front garden at a table with a sign saying 'Plants 50p each'. I had no cash or change on me, so I went to the cash point to draw some out. I came back and she had gone.

I decided to go back and knock on the door of the house she was sat outside. Her parents answered and said she'd shut up shop early as there were no takers today so far, but she'll be over the moon that you have come and that it was all her idea.

I handed over my £1 coin and I haven't seen such an appreciative reaction in a long time. A beaming smile and a thank you, her day was made and so was mine! Young entrepreneur in the making for sure.

Have a great week all!"


Wow! I bet he was pleased that the cash point gave out £1 coins, because all the cash points I've ever used in my entire life have only ever dispensed notes! What a stroke of luck!




5) Rich liar


I suppose a billionaire could argue that this next advert was a truthful advert, but for the rest of us, this is definitely another example of a liar caught in the act.

'Cheap' furniture resale.

"Wow! Only $46 thousand dollars! What a bargain!"




6) Boat liar?


Finally, I can't state with absolute certainty that this next example is a liar caught in the act. However, the name of the boat does raise the question, 'What happened to Unsinkable I?'

Credit: @IrenaBuzarewicz

Unsinkable II? Then why did you need to replace Unsinkable I?

- - - - - - - - - -

If you think you're an expert at spotting liars in the act, then you can test your bluff detecting abilities by reading 'True Or False: A Collection Of 100 Light-Hearted Facts And Bluffs' which is available for kindle from Amazon.*

* That's true. It's not a bluff.




You can find more posts on the theme of questionable honesty below:
Seems legit
How to spot fake goods in Thailand

No comments:

Post a Comment