Saturday 4 July 2020

Commas are important (part 2)

The importance of commas is a subject I've covered before on the Charles Fudgemuffin blog, but it seems that some people still aren't getting the message, so here are a few more examples which demonstrate why commas are important....

1) Divorce cake


Did they get this cake because they were breaking up with their partner, or moving to a new job?

"It's over, Chris. I'm leaving you."
I think it was supposed to, 'Sorry you are leaving, Chris."




2) A message for elephants


Those rebellious elephants just won't do what they're told!


Park owner: "Listen elephants, for the thousandth time, will you please stay in your car!?"
Elephants: "Oh, but we like getting out and walking about!"




3) Apples and oranges commas


A comma can change the meaning of a sentence.  For example...

"I like to eat apples. I like to eat commas."




4) In defence of girl hippos


Is this dude a hippo sexist, or did he just forget to use a comma?

"Man, hippos are cool!" vs "Man hippos are cool."
The importance of commas.

Despite his lack of a comma, I have to agree ... hippos are indeed very cool! Both man hippos and girl hippos!




5) Comma joke


What's the difference between a cat and a comma?
One has claws at the end of its paws, the other has a pause at the end of its clause.




6) The obligatory 'eating' themed meme


Is this an invitation to eat Pastor Thomas, or is Pastor Thomas just signing the message?


Let's hope Hannibal Lector doesn't see this sign!




7) Teetotal, or alcoholic?


Here's another example which demonstrates just how important commas are, and how they can massively change the meaning of a sentence.

"I'm giving up alcohol for a month!"
"I'm giving up, alcohol for a month!"




8) Red, gold and green


Finally, to round things off, here's one for Culture Club fans...


Comma comma comma comma comma chameleon.

Footnote: What with me being a really young person myself, I didn't understand this, but thankfully I got an old person to explain it to me. Apparently, it's a reference to the lyrics from Karma Chameleon by Culture Club, a song from back in the 80s which I've never heard of because as I say, I'm still very young. *shifty eyes*




You can find more comma related memery in my original blog post:
Commas are important (part 1)

1 comment:

  1. The Crazy Years8 July 2020 at 16:27

    "If you elephants don't stay in your seats, I am turning this car around and we are going home!"

    ReplyDelete