Saturday 13 August 2022

Old words that are dying out (part 2)

As I've mentioned before on the Charles Fudgemuffin blog, language changes and some old words eventually die out. According to a survey by Perspectus Global, many words which were common just a few decades ago are disappearing from the vocabularies of younger people.

Here are a few more words that people aged 18-30 have never heard of:

1) Boogie (28%)


Silhouettes boogieing.
I tend to associate the word 'boogie' with the generation before me, so perhaps that explains why some of the younger generation have never heard of it. Anyway, for the benefit of the 28% of 18-30 year olds who don't know what 'boogie' means, it means to dance, specifically to pop music.

I think it may have been quite a cool word back in the day, but obviously if you said 'boogie' nowadays you'd probably sound like you were old and unfashionable, unless you said it ironically for a joke.




2) Bounder (27%)


You may think that a bounder is someone who bounds, but 'bounder' also has another meaning. A bounder is a cad, i.e. a dishonest man who treats others badly or in a disrespectful manner.




"That sounds brill!"

3) Brill (21%)


If you described something as 'brill' you'd be saying it was excellent because brill is just an abbreviation of brilliant.

When I was younger I knew what the word brill meant, but I never ever used it. I think brill was something that people down south used to say, because up north we would more likely say 'lush', which also means excellent.

Editor's note: "Charles, you've spoiled number 7 now."




4) Cad (37%)


An incredible 37% of 18-30 year olds don't know what a cad is, so if you're part of that 37% then apologies for confusing you with my explanation of a bounder!




5) Disco (17%)


Of all the words on this list, this was the inclusion that shocked me the most. How can you not know what a disco is!?

Anyway, for the benefit of the 17%, a disco is a place where people go for a boogie!


"Henceforth, forsooth, and verily!"
Words that Sheakespeare might say.


6) Henceforth (26%)


I have to admit 'henceforth' does sound a little bit like something Shakespeare would say, but I was nevertheless surprised to learn that 26% of 18-30 year olds have never heard of it.

I can't exactly explain why, but to me henceforth just seems like one of those words which you instinctively know what it means, even if you've never heard it before. For anyone still in the dark, henceforth means from this time on.




7) Lush (23%)


If you've been paying attention, then you'll know that lush means excellent. Or if you're from my generation and from down south, then lush means brill!

This is a word I used a lot when I was young, which I supoose means I was blessed with a happy childhood. I never use it nowadays though, so I think 'lush' is something that children used to say rather than adults.




8) Sozzled (40%)

The sozzled panther.

I've never actually used the word sozzled, but nevertheless, I have to admit that I was sozzled on many occasions in my youth!

To be sozzled is to be very drunk. To be fair, I don't drink nowadays, and none of my friends drink excessively to the point of getting very drunk, so maybe that's why I never use the word sozzled nowadays.




9) Yonks (25%)


I did occasionally say 'yonks' when I was young, but for some reason it's been a long time since I last said it. In fact it's been yonks!

As you might have guessed from that clue, yonks means a very long time.

- - - - - - - - - -

Admittedly, some of the words do sound a bit dated, but at the same time it's sad to see old words die out, so it would be nice if they could come back into fashion again at some point in the future.




You can find more words which are dying out in my original blog post:
Old words that are dying out (part 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment