Sunday 12 January 2014

Charles Fudgemuffin ... mind reader extraordinaire!

Unlocking the power of the mind with a simple maths trick.


I've always enjoyed trying to predict what people are thinking and so to demonstrate my 'psychic' abilities I recently made a short mind reading video which is featured below.

Of course in reality, however, there are actually no mind reading skills involved and the video just uses a clever mathematical trick to 'read your mind'. Mathematicians might be able to work out how the mind reading trick works, but even if you're not into maths it's still quite impressive and nine times out of ten the video will correctly guess what you're thinking and 'read your mind'.

The mind reading video starts with the words, "Stare at the red square for 5 seconds..."



For some reason when I was testing out the video I would usually think of the number 7, so I wonder if that was just me or if other people are more likely to think of the number 7 as well? Although obviously after watching the video you'll have realised that the number you think of is irrelevant.

Here's the full transcript of the video:

"Stare at the red square for five seconds and I will read your mind..."

(Five second pause.)

"Now think of a number between 1 and 10."

"Now add 3."

"Now multiply by..."

(Another pause.)

" [cos (2x + 35.689) x 4∞ (-1x) + log(12)] / ⊓ (10 √(x - 1) + sin (4x - 3
√(2x - 1)]"

"You're thinking..."

"How the **** am I meant to multiply that!?"

"This mind reading presentation was brought to you by Charles Fudgemuffin."


If any clever mathematicians are smugly thinking to themselves, "Ha! The equation doesn't even make sense!", then unfortunately you've missed the point of the video. The point wasn't to post a complicated equation for people to solve. It was just a silly joke. The idea was to make people think I was going to use a clever mathematical trick to make them think I was reading their mind, when in reality I was simply playing a daft trick!

Anyway,
you can find the video on YouTube directly at the following link:
Mind reading trick on YouTube




More video themed blog posts:
The fire skipping rope ... on crutches!
The fire hoop: win or fail?

No comments:

Post a Comment