Saturday 4 February 2017

'Guess the sign' quiz

Signposts are a part of everyday life. They're also quite boring, so you may be wondering why I've decided to have a quiz on them!

Well, although the majority of signs are indeed boring, the signs featured in this week's quiz all appealed to my daft sense of humour.

The text from each of the following signposts has been deleted, so see if you can guess what each sign originally said...

1) African Sign


This first sign is an amusing sign from Africa.  I've erased the text, but bearing in mind the antelope silhouette, can you guess what the sign originally said?


Yes, that's right!  As you've probably guessed the sign says...

Antelopes.  Baboons, apparently.


Credit to Helen In Wonderlust for posting this amusing 'Baboons' sign on her facebook page.




2) Waterfront Sign


This next sign was found in Krabi in Thailand on a walkway along the waterfront...


I've erased the English writing from the sign, but left the Thai writing, so Thai speakers are at an advantage! However, to give English speakers a clue, here's the view when you look over the fence...


Bearing in mind the scruffy state of the beach and the polluted state of the water, can you guess what the sign said?

I would have thought 'No swimming' or 'Swim at your own risk' would have been appropriate, but in actual fact the sign read...


No fishing!?  In that water!?

Unless the fish were wearing grade A hazmat suits, I can't imagine they would survive for more than five seconds! I'm therefore presuming the sign was an observation, rather than an instruction.

N.B. Thailand has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, so in the interests of fairness I should point out that this beach isn't at all representative of the more typically idyllic tropical beaches you find in Thailand.




3) Hostel Sign


Next up is another sign found in Thailand and this time it was seen in a hostel on the beautiful island of Koh Phi Phi. The only clue I'll give you is that this is a fairly obvious one, so I'm expecting everyone to guess it correctly...


As I'm sure everybody guessed, the sign reads...


Em ... what!!?!?

"I made my bed sheets and pillows dirty stripper (If it does you have to pay 1,000 baht)"

????

No, sorry. That's got me completely baffled.

This sign regularly got confused blank looks from new arrivals at the hostel, and I think it's fair to say that it probably lost just a tiny little bit of its meaning in translation.




4)  Ice Cream Sign


To mix things up, for this next sign I've deleted part of the picture, rather than the words. It's a sign in KFC in Thailand advertising ice cream, and the first two flavours are the ever popular chocolate and strawberry, but can you guess what the third flavour of ice cream is?

Mystery ice cream flavour.

To give you a clue, think of a type of food that would go perfectly with ice cream...

Yes, that right! It's corn! Corn flavoured ice cream. Corn, as in corn on the cob. Except in this case it's not on the cob. It's in ice cream. Corn ... in ice cream.

Corn Lover ice cream.

I have to admit my curiosity got the better of me so I gave it a try, and I can confirm that it tasted even more disgusting than I imagined it would.

It's named 'Corn Lover' and I do actually love corn and I also love ice cream, so I kept an open mind. However, this is definitely one occasion when two rights make a wrong.




5) Hotel Sign


Finally, this last sign is from a hotel in Asia, and it gives three rules. The first two are fairly typical instructions for hotels in parts of Asia...


...but can you guess what the third rule is? To make things a bit easier, I've made this last sign a multiple choice question.  Here are the options...

A) If you break something, you have to pay for it.
B) Check out time is 11am. Late check out will result in an extra day charged.
C) Do not leave valuables in your room.
D) Before you leave, check there are no tortoises under your car.

That's right!  It is of course..


D) "Before you leave, check there are no tortoises under your car."

Credit to Dave Thomas for taking the photo of the hotel rules.


Weird signs appeal to my daft sense of humour, so I'll probably feature more daft signs in a future blog post.

. . . . . . . .

Footnote: Since I mentioned the CIA in last week's blog post, my blog views have shot up! And all of those extra page views are coming from America! So if any bloggers are reading this and you want to increase your page views, just mention the CIA in one of your blog posts and they'll come and check on your blog and give you loads of extra views!

As a reminder, last week I mentioned that the search term...

'Dinosaurs were made up by the CIA to discourage time travel'

...gets 20 searches on Google every month!

There are obviously a lot of crazy people using Google!  I mean, as if dinosaurs were made up by the CIA! That's ridiculous! Everyone knows it was the FBI who invented dinosaurs to discourage time travel, not the CIA!




You can find more silly signs, in my previous blog posts:
Funny signs (part 2)
Supermarket signs, labels and vouchers

No comments:

Post a Comment