Saturday 18 February 2017

Coincidental company names

Original names for electronic companies are
harder to think of than you might expect.
When writing 'How To Poison Your Husband And Get Away With It', my recently released short story collection, for one of the stories I needed to think of a name for a fictitious electronic company. I therefore got my thinking cap on and came up with...

Integrax

However, after a quick Google search it turns out that by coincidence Integrax is already a real company!

I didn't want to get into any legal difficulties over copyright, so I went back to the drawing board and came up with...

Tridox

Apparently, it turns out Tridox is already the name of a medicine. It's also the name of  a self curing, non-epoxy plastic adhesive cement. I have to admit I'm not sure what a self-curing non-epoxy plastic adhesive cement is exactly, but whatever it is, there's already one called Tridox.

Undeterred, I tried again and came up with...

Transvac

Another electronically themed photo.
Yes, you guessed it!  It turns out there's already a company called Transvac, and apparently they're the world's leading supplier of Ejector Solutions since 1973. Sadly, I've never needed a supply of ejector solutions, but I did need an unclaimed name for an electronics company.

So next I came up with...

Posivolt

After another quick Google search I discovered that Posivolt has already been claimed by a website called Brandcrowd. So instead I came up with...

Microdev

It will come as no surprise to learn that Microdev is already an electronics company, and they're based in South America. Up until now I had been basing my made-up names on electronic sounding words and scientific sounding terms, so I realised I was going to need something more obscure.

So next I made up a random name with no electronic references at all. The name I came up with was...

Balacon

The Puppet Master is featured in my
crime themed collection of short stories
entitled 'How To Poison Your Husband
And Get Away With It'.
And yes, you've guessed it again, Balacon already exists! Apparently they're a marketing company. By now I was getting a bit fed up with all these selfish companies selfishly using my made-up names for their own selfish business needs, but I decided to give it one last go.

However, to increase my chances of making up an unclaimed name I decided to expand beyond two or three syllables and make the name as long as possible.

Finally, I came up with...

Interpolyplexvolticon

Success! I finally found a name which isn't already in use! Or if they are, Google doesn't know about them, so that's good enough for me.

So anyway, if you read 'The Puppet Master' in my recently released short story collection 'How To Poison Your Husband And Get Away With It' and you think 'Interpolyplexvolticon Electronics' is a bit of a long-winded name for an electronics company, now you know why! It's because, Integrax, Tridox, Transvac, Posivolt, Microdev and Balacon had already been claimed.

On a closing note, why not try it for yourself?  Think of a made-up name for a fictitious company and then Google it.  You may well find that your fictitious company already exists!




Footnote: To increase your chances of coming up with a company name that already exists, try to think of something which sounds 'sciency', and also go for a name with only two or three syllables.

No comments:

Post a Comment