Amusing comments from players, managers and commentators.
|Football, the inspiration for numerous silly quotes.|
1) "Strangely, in slow motion replay, the ball seemed to hang in the air for even longer."
...Commentator David Acfield. Yes, slow motion tends to do that, David.
2) "I'm going to make a prediction... It could go either way."
...Ron Atkinson sticks his neck out.
3) "Don't tell those coming in the final result of that fantastic match, but let's just have another look at Italy's winning goal."
...David Coleman cleverly avoids spoiling the match for viewers who haven't yet seen the result.
4) "In the end, Rosicky initially did well."
5) Reporter: "So, Gordon, in what areas do you think Middlesbrough were better than you today?"
Gordon Strachan: "Mainly that big green area out there."
6) "The ageless Dennis Wise, now in his thirties."
7) "Is John Motson still wearing his shepherdskin coat?"
...Bobby Gould. I think you mean 'sheep' skin, Bobby.
8) "They were numerically outnumbered."
...Garry Birtles. 'Numerically' outnumbered? How else can you be outnumbered but numerically?
|Jimmy Greaves discusses the influences on his career.|
Jimmy Greaves: "Vladimir Smirnoff."
11) "If we played like this every week we wouldn't be so inconsistent."
12) "Without being too harsh on David, he cost us the match."
13) "I'm a firm believer if you score one goal, then the other team have to score two to win."
...Howard Wilkinson provides insightful analysis on the secret to winning a football match.
14) Finally, here's a quote from Gary Lineker which was especially appropriate at the recent World Cup:
"Football is a simple game. Twenty two men chase a ball for ninety minutes and at the end, the Germans win."
You can find my previous round-ups of funny football quotes at the following creatively named links:
Amusing Football Quotes
Amusing Football Quotes (Part 2)
Amusing Football Quotes (Part 3)
Amusing Football Quotes (Part 4)