Sunday 24 August 2014

A contender for the most unexpected question ever...

A volcano erupting, pictured yesterday.
A few months ago on this blog I featured a contender for one of the most stupid questions of all time, and I recently encountered another totally random and bizarre, and completely unexpected question.

I'd been away travelling for a few months so on my return to the UK I registered at the local employment office and was asked to complete a survey regarding my search for a job.

The first few questions were typical normal questions that you would expect to be asked, such as:

1) "What is your name?"

"Charles Fudgemuffin" *

* Of course as this was an official and serious government questionnaire, I didn't put Charles Fudgemuffin on the form. I instead used my real name, which for the benefit of anyone who's interested is Henry Flangechomper.

2) "What qualifications do you have?"
"I am the writer of the critically acclaimed 'Remember to put the bins out' note."

3) "Have you applied for any jobs since returning to the UK?"
"Yes, I have applied for the posts of Graffiti Artist Humiliation Officer and Reputation Attenuator."

As you can see it was all fairly straight forward so far, but then suddenly from nowhere came the most randomly unexpected question ever...

"Were you evacuated from Montserrat after 1 November 1995 because of the volcanic eruption?"

"Em, now let's think... Was I evacuated...? Well I'll just check my CV and job search papers. Now let's see what they say...

No, according to the job search records which I've kept regarding my search for a job, then no, I wasn't evacuated from Montserrat in 1995 because of the volcanic eruption."

I have to admit I was more than a little surprised when this question popped up on the screen due to the sheer randomness of it. I mean, I'm sure there's a perfectly good reason why they need to ask job hunters the question, but I have to say it was a little unexpected. Obviously, natural disasters are horrible so if the government were able to offer support to any evacuees then that's brilliant, but despite this it still came as a big surprise to be asked if that applied to me.

From then on the rest of the questionnaire returned to a more standard format with questions along the lines of:

"Do you have a current and up to date CV?"

"Have you registered with any employment agencies?"


"Would you rather your nose got bigger every time you told a lie, or would you rather you let out a loud smelly fart every time you told a lie?" *

* Not really.  I just made that last one up.

So it seems that the question about the volcanic eruption of Montserrat in 1995 was alone in its unusualness. Anyway, hopefully my volcanic eruption evacuation history was able to help the employment office assist me with my job search.




On the theme of unexpected questions, if you'd like to discover a contender for one of the most stupid questions of all time, then you can check it out below:
"And the award for the most stupid question ever goes to..."

No comments:

Post a Comment