Saturday 29 June 2019

Wikipedia vandalism (part 2)

When it's not being used by partisan people to rewrite their own political/historical/sporting viewpoint, wikipedia can be a useful tool. However, it is susceptible to vandalism.

Real life vandalism is illegal.
But wikipedia vandalism is just a bit of a laugh!
I've previously featured a few of these examples of wikipedia vandalism on the Charles Fudgemuffin blog, and as I like to 'recycle' ideas, it's time for a few more!

This week's blog post features more examples of wikipedia vandalism in a blog post I've creatively decided to call 'Wikipedia vandalism (part 2)'...

1) Scrappy Doo has a dark side


When I was young I can remember when Scrappy Doo was introduced to the Scooby Doo cartoons, and I didn't really like him very much.

However, I like him even less, now that I've discovered that apparently he's a convicted war criminal!

Scrappy Doo: "Convicted war criminal."
I have to admit, I can't remember watching that episode when I was a kid. #Censorship

Wikipedia: Scrappy Doo




2) Faster than a speeding bullet!


If you thought the fastest animal was the cheetah, then think again! As all super hero fans know, the fastest 'land animal' is actually the Flash!


"Flash! Ah-ah! Saviour of the universe!"
Editor's note: "Charles, that's the wrong 'Flash'."
Fun fact: When sprinting, cheetahs actually spend more time in the air than on the ground, so maybe they should be disqualified from the fastest 'land' animal category.

Wikipedia: Fastest animals




3) Erdogan by name...


Back in 2017, someone edited Turkish dictator Recep Tayyip Erdogan's wikipedia photo to show a photo of a cockroach!

Cockroach highlighted with a big red circle,
for the benefit of anyone who wasn't able to find it in the photo.
As you can see, the cockroach has been highlighted with a big red circle, for the benefit of anyone who wasn't able to find it in the photo.

Wikipedia: Recep Tayyip Erdogan




4) I see what you did there...


Whoever edited this next wikipedia entry for 'run-on sentence' has cleverly provided both an explanation, and an example!

An example of a run-on sentence.
And also an explanation of a run-on sentence!
And ... breathe!

For the benefit of anyone who can't be bothered to count the number of words, their clever run-on sentence explanation (and example) comes in at 271 words!

Wikipedia: Run-on sentences




5) Belgium


Next up is a cheeky (and also inaccurate) wikipedia vandalism entry written by someone who presumably finds Belgium to be rather unremarkable...

"A service station between France and Germany."
To be fair, when I think of Belgium, what immediately comes to mind is that they're an excellent football team ... not just a service station! And I would also add that I visited Brussels on a day trip, and thoroughly enjoyed my visit, so I think the wiki vandal is being unfair in this case.

Wikipedia: Belgium




6) The first rule is...


Finally, I think whoever edited the wikipedia page for the First Law of Thermodynamics was getting slightly confused with Fight Club.

Science has changed since I was at school.
"The first law of Fight Club thermodynamics is you do not talk about thermodynamics."

Wikipedia: First law of thermodynamics




You can find more wikipedia vandalism in my previous blog post:
Wikipedia Vandalism (part 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment