A collection of 'Murrayisms' as a tribute to a formula 1 commentating legend.
|'If' is F1 spelt backwards...|
1) "This is an interesting circuit because it has inclines, and not just up but down as well!"
...Unless describing the Penrose stairs, you would generally expect this to be the case.
2) "I make no apologies for their absence. I'm sorry they're not here."
3) "Andrea de Cesaris, the man who has won more Grand Prix than anyone else without actually winning one of them."
4) "A great season for Nelson Piquet, as he is now known and always has been."
...Murray Walker, as he is now known and has always been, sums up Nelson Piquet's season.
5) "Either the car is stationary or it's on the move."
...Murray sticks his neck out.
6) "I should imagine that the conditions in the cockpit are totally unimaginable."
7) "I've no idea what Eddie Irvine's orders are, but he's following them superlatively well."
8) "It looks as though this year there wll be 17 Grand Prix for the World Championship, compared with the traditional 17."
9) "Mansell is slowing it down, taking it easy... Oh no he isn't! It's a lap record!"
10) "Prost can see Mansell in his earphones."
...Clever new technology gets introduced to formula 1.
11) "There are seven winners of the Monaco Grand Prix on the starting line today, and four of them are Michael Schumacher!"
|A stationary wheel.|
13) "Mark Blundell stops with his front wheels stationary."
14) "The first four cars are both on the same tyres."
15) "That's history. I say history because it happened in the past."
...Murray provides viewers with an English lesson.
If we get a season filled with as much passion, energy and excitement as Murray used to generate when he was commentating on races, then we're in for a great season. Thanks for all the years of passionate formula 1 commentary, Murray!
Footnote: Since 2008, in every year ending with an even number, the F1 driver's championship has gone down to a title decider at the final Grand Prix of the season, so if that trend continues we may well get a 2016 season filled with excitement.
Other formula 1 related posts:
Formula 1: How Fast Is It?
Murray Walker Quotes (Part 1)