A tribute to a formula 1 legend.
|"Seb, where would you rank Murray Walker|
among formula 1 commentators?"
1) "There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire."
2) "I can't image what kind of problem Senna has. I imagine it must be some sort of grip problem."
3) "He's only 19. That's the same age Eddie Irvine was when he was 19."
...Coincidentally, it's also the same age I was when I was 19.
4) "And Michael Schumacher is actually in a very good position. He is in last place..."
5) "The lead car is unique, except for the one behind it, which is identical."
6) "As you can see, visually, with your eyes..."
7) "Edson Arantes di Nascimento, commonly know to us as Pele, hands the award to Damon Hill, commonly known to us as Damon Hill."
...Murray Walker (commonly known as Murray Walker) describes the scene wih Pele and Damon Hill.
8) "A sad ending, albeit a happy one."
9) "Well now we have exactly the same situation as at the beginning of the race, only exactly the opposite."
|Murray Walker was the voice of formula 1.|
11) "I know it's an old cliche, but you can cut the tension with a cricket stump."
...Murray Walker quotes that 'famous' cliche.
12) "Fantastic! There are four different cars filling the first four places."
13) "I don't know what happened, but there was a major malmisorganisation problem there."
14) "This will be Williams' first win since the last time a Williams won."
And finally, here's one of Murray's most famous serious quotes...
15) "There are a lot of ifs in formula 1. In fact 'IF' is 'F1' spelt backwards."
One of the great things about Murray Walker is his obvious enthusiasm, passion and love for formula 1, but also the fact that he comes across as down-to-Earth and is able to laugh at his own occasional gaffes. I say occasional, but over the years Murray came out with so many memorable quotes that he even inspired a new word to describe them ... 'Murrayisms'.
Murray Walker was one of my favourite sports commentators of all-time, so as a final note I'd like to thank Murray for his expert job of capturing the excitement of formula 1 over the years and for contributing to so many great memories of the sport.
. . . . . . . .
More formula 1 posts:
Formula 1: How Fast Is It?
To share this post, click the small facebook and twitter icons below.