How does the speed of a formula 1 car compare with other speeds? A comparison...
|A formula 1 car can reach speeds of up to 231.5 mph.|
Not this one, though. This one was stationary
Listed below you can see how Juan Pablo Montoya's feat compares with a variety of other significant speeds. Here they all are starting with the slowest first...
1) The top speed of the world's fastest snail* = 0.0313 mph
* The speckled garden snail.
|The cameraman had to use a very fast shutter speed|
for this photo in order to avoid motion blur.
3) World record average speed for a tortoise = 0.6365 mph
* Held by Bertie the Tortoise who recorded a time of 19.59 seconds to cover 18ft.
4) Typical scanning speed of an audio CD = 2.68 mph
5) Top speed of Usain Bolt when he set his 100m world record* = 27.44 mph
* At the 2009 Berlin World Athletics Championships.
6) Speed of a racing greyhound = 39.35 mph
7) Speed limit on UK motorways = 70 mph
8) Top speed of a cheetah = 72 mph
|A professional ice hockey player can hit a puck at 110mph.|
10) The average speed of a falling parachutist* = 120 mph
* Before they open their parachute, obviously!
11) Top speed of the world's fastest rollercoaster* = 149 mph
* Formula Rossa at Ferrari World Abu Dhabi.
12) Speed of the Earth's rotation at the north of Greenland = 150 mph
13) Typical speed of a golf ball from a tee shot = 170 mph
14) The speed of nerve impulses from the brain to your body = 170 mph
15) The diving speed of a peregrine falcon = 200 mph
16) Speed of a paintball pellet = 204 mph
|A formula 1 car in action.|
18) Speed of a 6mm air gun pellet = 224 mph
19) Top speed of a formula 1 car = 231.5 mph
20) The fastest ever recorded speed on a public road* = 268.9 mph
* Set by Rudolf Caracciola on the autobahn in Germany.
21) Wind speed of a powerful tornado = 290 mph
22) Speed of the Earth's rotation in England = 600 mph
23) The speed of a typical .22 bullet = 720 mph
24) World record for the fastest speed recorded during freefall* = 833.9 mph
|Light, pictured yesterday.|
25) Speed of the Earth's rotation at the equator = 1,040 mph
26) Speed that Earth travels around the Sun = 66,600 mph
27) Speed that the Sun travels around the centre of the galaxy = 514,000 mph
28) Speed that the Milky Way galaxy travels through the universe = 1,340,000 mph
29) Speed of light = 670,616,629 mph
Formula 1 fans can find a tribute to Murray Walker, featuring some of his most amusing quotes, at the links below:
Murray Walker Quotes (Part 1)
Murray Walker Quotes (Part 2)
Follow Charles Fudgemuffin on twitter: