Saturday 25 January 2020

Things that unintentionally made me laugh (part 1: 'Cute' dog names)

A cute dog, but what cute name can we give him?
This week's blog post focuses on a random website I came across one day which unintentionally made me laugh. To further explain, the website wasn't supposed to be funny, but my easily amused brain nevertheless found it very amusing.

The website in question was a website called 'Cute Dog Names', and as you might have already guessed, it's a website which generates a random selection of cute dog names for anyone looking for a cute name for their new puppy. It sounds like a cool idea, but I have to say, the website's idea of a cute dog name, and my idea of a cute dog name, are somewhat different.

To illustrate what I mean, take a look at some of the allegedly 'cute' dog names it suggested...


'Cute' dog names. Allegedly.


As you can see, some of the alleged cute dog names generated by the website include 'Zombie', 'Monster' and perhaps most unusually of all, 'Evil'.

Er, what!? Evil? For a dog's name?

Can you imagine being down the park with your dog and calling for him in a nice friendly voice...

"Evil! Evil! Come on, Evil!"


"Hmm, what should I call my dog...?"
People would look at you like you were a nutter!

And while Zombie, Monster and Evil aren't names you would normally associate with a cute dog, perhaps the most bizarre suggested name of all has to be...

'Brick'

What sort of weirdo names their dog 'Brick'!?

"Brick! Come on, Brick! Come and get your lead on, Brick!"

One other alleged 'cute dog name' which deserves a mention is 'Volcano'. I have to admit, I've never met anyone who named their dog Volcano, but apparently whoever created the website obviously likes the name Volcano, because as you can see from the screenshot, they like it so much they suggested it twice!

I've used red circles to highlight my five favourite names from the list of suggested cute dog names, but there are many more weird names that deserve a mention such as 'Zebra', 'Witch' and 'Cucumber'.

"Cucumber! Come on, Cucumber! Time for walkies, Cucumber!"


"Cucumber, stay! Cucumber, sit!
Good, Cucumber! Who's a good Cucumber?"
Sadly, the cutedognames.com website no longer appears to be active, which I find incredibly surprising, given how amazingly 'cute' the suggested dog names were.

Anyway, I presume the creators of the website were trying to be creative and come up with names which were a little bit different from your regular more common dog names, so top marks for creativity. However, there's 'creative', and there's just plain loony, and some of the names suggested by Cutedognames.com fall firmly into the second category!

If you're looking for more sensible dog name suggestions, then check out my previous blog post below which features the top 20 most popular dog names in the UK:
Most Popular Dog Names




You'll notice that this week's blog post was labelled 'part 1'. That's because my daft sense of humour often finds things funny which weren't meant to be funny, so I'll no doubt feature a similarly themed blog post (which I'll probably name 'part 2') at some point in the future.

In the mean time, check out the blog posts below for more dog related observations (with bonus cat observations thrown in for free!):
Cats and dogs: Random thoughts and observations (part 1)
Cats and dogs: Random thoughts and observations (part 2)

2 comments:

  1. I agree that Volcano for a dog's name is so fantastic that it IS worthy of being in the list two times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hobby is training and trialing dogs. I'm also a judge. One of the things you learn in dog judge university is that profanity is not allowed in the ring, either spoken or on clothing. One woman had a dog called Dammit. Everytime she gave a command with the dog's name, such as calling to front using, "Dammit, Front!", she got NQ'd. She refused to change the dog's name.

    ReplyDelete