To celebrate the Olympic Games I've collected together a list of Olympic themed quotes by various commentators, competitors and others over the years.
…Pat Glenn, weight-lifting commentator.
3) “He is the world number one and has been the poster boy for our sport, it's like
not taking Messi, in fact he is the Lionel Messi of our sport and must go.” Barcelona
…John Cullen, former British champion referring to Aaron Cook not being selected for the GB Tae Kwon Do team.
4) “McDonald’s being the official restaurant of the Olympics is like smoking being the official medicine of cancer.”
…numerous tweeters on twitter.
* In the interests of a balanced article I feel I should point out that when talking about the day he broke the 100 metres record, Usian Bolt mentioned that he had chicken nuggets for lunch, so the analogy doesn’t really stand up to close scrutiny, but it nevertheless brought a smirk to my face.
5) “I just want a hamburger and fries.”
…Rebecca Adlington after winning gold in
|Dusting, now an Olympic sport|
in the eyes of Charles Barkley.
…Charles Barkley (American basketball player) being a bit harsh on curling.
7) Interviewer: “If the monarchy suddenly disbanded, which song would you want played at your gold medal ceremony instead of the National Anthem?”
: “Baby Got Back by Sir Mix-A-Lot.” Moores
…Holly Lam-Moores, Team GB handball player.
…Holly Lam-Moores, Team GB handball player.
8) “Although they only give gold medals in the field of athletics, I encourage everyone to look into themselves and find their own personal dream, whatever that may be … sports, medicine, whatever. The same principles apply.”
…Not sure who said this. Some dude or dudette who talked a lot of sense, though.
|Champions are made from something|
they have deep inside them.
…Alan Minter, former boxer and Olympic boxing commentator.
11) “In the coming days, over 10,000 athletes from more than 200 nations will be undertaking their final preparations after years of dedication, hard work and personal sacrifice. We send our warm wishes to them for a rewarding and enjoyable Games.”
…Her Majesty The Queen.
12) Reporter: “Would someone wearing a Pepsi T-shirt would be allowed in to the Games?”
Lord Coe: “No. You probably wouldn’t be walking in with a Pepsi T-shirt because Coca Cola are our sponsors and they have put millions of pounds into this project but also millions of pounds into grassroots sport. It is important to protect those sponsors.”
...Lord Coe, under the mistaken impression that the Olympics are being staged in
. North Korea
|North Korea, hosting this year's Olympic Games|
if Lord Coe's statement is anything to go by.
...Boris Johnson, Mayor Of
, taking a more liberal approach. London
14) “Lord Coe was a brilliant runner and until now I’ve always had total respect for him as a person, but on this occasion you could argue that his comments have done more to harm Olympic sponsors like Adidas and Coca Cola than any baker hanging a few doughnuts in their window.”
…Charles Fudgemuffin, i.e. me.
15) “The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not winning but taking part. The essential thing in life is not conquering but fighting well.”
…Pierre de Coubertin, founder of the modern Olympic Games, reminding us what the Olympics should actually be about.
I would certainly agree with the positive benefits of getting involved. I was lucky enough to see the Olympic Torch travelling on its journey around the country and can confirm that the atmosphere on the day was excellent, with everyone excitedly and enthusiastically cheering on the torch bearer as he jogged down the street carrying the torch.
This is a short video of the occasion:
Finally, some people have claimed that the Olympic organisers have lost sight of the true meaning of the Olympics and have ‘sold out’ for the corporate buck. I would have to strongly disagree with these claims. The Olympic spirit burns as bright and as true as it ever did and the involvement of corporate sponsors doesn’t dilute that spirit at all.
And on that closing note I’m off to enjoy a pint of Heineken, the official beer of the Olympic Games.
P.S. Good luck to all the Team GB athletes taking part in the Olympic Games and I’ll feature another list of quotes in a few weeks time to celebrate some of the no doubt amazing sporting achievements we’ll witness over the next seventeen days.
Kinetic Capture insoles: The ideal gadget for music-loving fitness fanatics
Other Recent Posts:
Love And Romance Advice
Signs From Around The World
How To Save The World In Twenty Tweets... (Part Two)