Saturday 25 March 2023

Trolling is fun

Sometimes its obvious when people are trolling. For example, when this dude made a mask of himself not wearing a mask properly, he was obviously doing it to deviously troll people.

Mask troll.
Other times, though, trolling can be more subtle and not so obvious. For me, the perfect troll is when you are left wondering, are they actually trolling or are they genuinely that stupid?

So this week the Charles Fudgemuffin blog puts trolling under the microscope. Have a read of the following examples and see if you can decide whether it's a troll cleverly winding people up, or whether they genuinely are that stupid...

1) Flying Carp


Wow! What a rare sight! A bird hitching a ride on a flying carp!

"You can clearly see the bird riding on his back mid-air."

"Wow, I cannot believe you think the fish (who are known for swimming under water) is giving a piggy back ride to the bird (who are known for flying)! I am sad for humanity."

Trolling or stupid?




2) Out Of Gasoline


When I first read this next example, my reaction was 'This has got to be a wind up!' After all, I'm utterly clueless with cars, and even I wouldn't do something as daft as this.

However, like all quality trolls, it left me with a niggling doubt at the back of my mind that maybe someone actually did do this and think diesel would be fine in a petrol* car.

* That's 'gas' for the benefit of American readers.


A word of caution from the wise foolish.

"Guys, DO NOT use diesel on a Prius or any car that doesn't take it.The station ran out of gasoline so I used diesel since I figured it'd just make my engine louder. It DOES NOT make your engine louder. My car broke down. Waiting on AAA."

The clincher for me is that petrol stations in the UK don't generally run out of petrol (that would be like a fruit shop running out of fruit1, or a non-traitorous government running out of energy for its citizens **shifty eyes**), so overall I think this is more likely to be expert trolling. But what do you think?

Trolling or stupid?




3) Old Pepper Grinder


Next up comes a superb example of trolling. At least, I sincerely *hope* that they're trolling...

Hmm, that pepper grinder looks suspiciously like something else...

"I've been trying to open this old pepper grinder I found in an old man's shed. I've tried WD40 to no avail. I think I'll try heating it over the gas stove in the kitchen to see if that loosens it a bit."

Perhaps for this example the question should be...

Trolling or now presumed dead?




4) Amazing Hunters


I know that when my parents return from the supermarket with bags of groceries, their dogs get very excited, so perhaps the dogs think my parents are amazing hunters...

"Learn."

Twitter user:
"Dogs must think we are amazing hunters when we come back home with a car full of groceries."

Troll: "It's not technically hunting, though. Folks buy food with their money and it doesn't require the effort like actual hunting would. Learn."

The icing on the cake for me was rounding off his comment with 'Learn'. But was he trolling, or did he genuinely have incompetent comprehension skills?

Trolling or stupid?




5) Tesla oil change


Here's another example of car related trolling/stupidity (delete as appropriate).

An oil change for a Tesla? Surely you jest!

"Sexism is alive in America! Went to get an oil change and the male mechanics all laughed at me and told me to get lost! Probably jealous I drive a Tesla and they don't!"

To be fair, I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to cars, so this is the kind of gormless mistake I would make*.

* Not the confusion over the oil change. I mean buying a Tesla.

Trolling or stupid?




6) Missing Letter


Finally, I think it's fair to say that this last troll/fool (delete as appropriate) isn't the world's greatest speller.


Hopefully this review was from a troll and they didn't let it spoil their daughter's birthday after all, but what do you think?

Trolling or stupid?




Trolling is a form of pranking, so if you want to read more pranks, then check out the following blog posts:
Prank ideas for April Fools Day
Life is like a box of chocolates

- - - - - - - - - -

1 Although in all seriousness, I did once go to a restaurant that ran out of food. They asked me to order what I wanted, and they would get it for me tomorrow morning, then I could come back tomorrow evening and eat it!

No comments:

Post a Comment